Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls
Serving size: Makes about 17-22 sausage rolls depending on the size!
- 1 roll of puff pastry
- 1 small white onion – diced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of roughly chopped chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp of dried thyme
- 1tbsp of dried sage
- ½ can of drained and rinsed cannellini beans
- ½ cup of drained and rinsed puy lentils
- ½ cup of potato starch
- 2 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Udo’s Choice Beyond Greens blend - certified organic fermented grasses, green vegetables, superfood algae and seaweeds
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil for frying
- Optional: a handful of spinach
In a large pan sauté onion, mushroom, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
Add in thyme, oregano, and sage; stir occasionally for another 3-4 minutes until the mixture is slightly brown and has softened. Add the spinach in the last couple of minutes so it wilts but doesn't overcook.
Add the mixture to a food processor alongside the cannellini beans, lentils, sea salt, ground pepper, nutritional yeast, potato starch and Udo’s Choice Beyone Greens.
Process until the mixture is fairly smooth. Remove it from the food processor and place it into a bowl. Cover it with a plate and place it in the fridge for about ½ hour for a gloopier and more solid consistency.
Dust you rolling surface with some flour. Roll out the puff pastry. Cut out some long strips, about 4 cm wide. Spread the “sausage” mixture all the way along on the pastry strip. Roll it and then slice the log in about 7-8 pieces.
Brush all your “sausage rolls” with some olive oil. Place them on a baking tray and bake them in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about 25 minutes until slightly golden brown and flaky.
It’s best to serve them straight away while still warm.